View matrix for point light shadows

Hi all.
I’ve been working on point light shadows and have them almost working, something just seems to be a bit off. I’m not using a cubemap, instead I’m using an array of 6 textures. This is because I wanted more fine control over the individual textures that a cube map was giving me, I could possibly change it to a cube map but I don’t think that’s the issue I’m having.

When the point light is right over the scene, everything looks great, but as I move the light off to the right, things starts to go wrong:

The right most sphere looks great, but the left ones are just dark. There’s nothing casting that shadow.

I wrote some debug code to paint the pixels different colors based on which face of my shadowmap array is being used and sure enough:

The buggy area is all in yellow which corresponds to the left face of my array/cube. That makes sense, it is to the left of the light.

So the problem must be in the rendering of that face. Perhaps the view matrix?
This is the code being used to generate the view matrix:

switch(eFace)
{
	case CubeMapFace.PositiveX:		return Matrix.CreateLookAt(v3Pos, v3Pos + Vector3.Right, Vector3.Up);
	case CubeMapFace.NegativeX:		return Matrix.CreateLookAt(v3Pos, v3Pos + Vector3.Left, Vector3.Up);
	case CubeMapFace.PositiveY:		return Matrix.CreateLookAt(v3Pos, v3Pos + Vector3.Up, Vector3.Backward);
	case CubeMapFace.NegativeY:		return Matrix.CreateLookAt(v3Pos, v3Pos + Vector3.Down, Vector3.Forward);
	case CubeMapFace.PositiveZ:		return Matrix.CreateLookAt(v3Pos, v3Pos + Vector3.Backward, Vector3.Down);
	case CubeMapFace.NegativeZ:		return Matrix.CreateLookAt(v3Pos, v3Pos + Vector3.Forward, Vector3.Up);
	default:						return Matrix.Identity;
}

I tried messing with the up vector in case it was upside down or side ways but that didn’t improve things.

It doesn’t seem like the problem could be any other part of the pipeline since it’s working correctly for the right sphere and correctly identifying which face of the shadow map to use, but just in case, here’s the rest of the code:

//C# code used to draw the shadow map
private void DrawOmnidirectionalShadowMap(Light light, int nLightIndex)
{
	//Six faces of the cube map
	for(int i = 0; i < RenderInfo.m_nCubeSides; ++i)
	{
		int nTextureIndex = nLightIndex * RenderInfo.m_nCubeSides + i;

m_Graphics.SetRenderTarget(m_PointShadowMap, nTextureIndex);
		m_Graphics.Clear(Color.Black);

Matrix m44View = light.GetViewMatrix((CubeMapFace)i);
		Matrix m44Projection = light.GetProjectionMatrix();
		Matrix m44LightViewProjection = m44View * m44Projection;

m_ShadowMaterial.SetProperty("_LightViewProjection", m44LightViewProjection);

//Render meshes
		foreach(MeshRenderer renderer in m_OpaqueList)
		{
			renderer.DrawShadows(m_ShadowMaterial);
		}

m_Graphics.SetRenderTarget(null);
		m_RenderInfo.m_m44PointLightViewProjection[nTextureIndex] = m44LightViewProjection;
	}
}

Here’s the shader function used to sample the shadow map:

float CalcPointShadowsPCF(float light_space_depth, float ndotl, float3 shadow_coord)
{
	float shadow_term = 0;
    float variableBias = clamp(0.001 * tan(acos(ndotl)), 0, _DepthBias);
    float size = 1.0 / _ShadowMapSize;

float samples[4];
    samples[0] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord).r);
    samples[1] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float3(size, 0, 0)).r);
    samples[2] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float3(0, size, 0)).r);
    samples[3] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float3(size, size, 0)).r);

shadow_term = (samples[0] + samples[1] + samples[2] + samples[3]) / 4.0;

return shadow_term;
}

Here’s the fragment shader code that calculates which face to sample and calls the above function:

float shadowContribution = 1.0;

//Work out which face of the shadow cube
float3 directionToFragment = normalize(worldPosition - _PointLightPos[i]);
float closestDirection = -1;
int faceIndex = 0;
for(int face = 0; face < CubeSides; ++face)
{
	float3 forward = FaceDirectons[face];
	float result = dot(directionToFragment, forward);
	if(result > closestDirection)
	{
		closestDirection = result;
		faceIndex = face;
	}
}

float4 lightingPosition = mul(float4(worldPosition, 1), _PointLightSpaceMatrix[faceIndex]);
float2 shadowTexCoord = mad(0.5, lightingPosition.xy / lightingPosition.w, float2(0.5, 0.5));
shadowTexCoord.y = 1.0f - shadowTexCoord.y;
float ourDepth = (lightingPosition.z / lightingPosition.w);

shadowContribution = CalcPointShadowsPCF(ourDepth, NdotL, float3(shadowTexCoord, i * CubeSides + faceIndex));
//Do rest of lighting and rendering

Any idea why that face isn’t working?

I used SpriteBatch to render out the left face of the cube and it looks fine:

So I guess the problem isn’t the view matrix. Anyone have any ideas?

Just a wild guess, but the image could be sampled upside down. Your clear color is black, which would make everything shadowed. Maybe try clearing to white, and see if the shadow is gone.

I would suggest to use a cubemap instead of the 6 separate textures. When sampling from a cubemap, you just pass in a direction, and the hardware figures out which face to sample from. You don’t need this loop over all faces.
Also think how tricky things can get when you want to get filtering over texture borders, from one face to another.

1 Like

I can’t directly see anything wrong either.

I second the cube map part. You are already rendering the rendertargetcube you might as well just cast it to a textureCube.

textureCubeDestinationMap = renderTargetCube;

if your going to do it that way though here is a shader function that figures out the face without all the looping and doting. It spits out the face via the out.
I only have this because i need it for a spherical mapping conversion function in one of my shaders.
The cubes simplify things greatly.

float2 NormalToUvFace(float3 v, out int faceIndex)
{
    float3 vAbs = abs(v);
    float ma;
    float2 uv;
    if (vAbs.z >= vAbs.x && vAbs.z >= vAbs.y)
    {
        faceIndex = v.z < 0.0 ? 5 : 4;   //FACE_FRONT : FACE_BACK;   // z major axis...  we designate negative z forward.
        ma = 0.5f / vAbs.z;
        uv = float2(v.z < 0.0f ? -v.x : v.x, -v.y);
    }
    else if (vAbs.y >= vAbs.x)
    {
        faceIndex = v.y < 0.0f ? 3 : 2;   //FACE_BOTTOM : FACE_TOP;  // y major axis.
        ma = 0.5f / vAbs.y;
        uv = float2(v.x, v.y < 0.0 ? -v.z : v.z);
    }
    else
    {
        faceIndex = v.x < 0.0 ? 1 : 0;   //FACE_LEFT : FACE_RIGHT; // x major axis.
        ma = 0.5f / vAbs.x;
        uv = float2(v.x < 0.0 ? v.z : -v.z, -v.y);
    }
    return uv * ma + float2(0.5f, 0.5f);
}

So there are two reasons I’m not using a RenderTargetCube but maybe people have solutions to these:

1. I need 8 cubes (8 point lights) and there’s no way to make an array of render target cubes that can be passed into the shader as far as I could tell. I can make an array of textures that is 8*6 (8 cubes, 6 faces each) so that’s why I did it this way.

2. The CalcPointShadowsPCF() function needs to sample 4 points and average them, it does this by offsetting the UVs by one pixel. I wasn’t sure how to do this with a RenderTargetCube since it just samples using a direction rather than UVs.

RenderTargetCube inherits from Texture. If an array of textures works, shouldn’t this work too?

RenderTargetCube inherits from Texture. If an array of textures works, shouldn’t this work too?

The constructor for RenderTarget2D has an overload that accepts an array size, the one for RenderTargetCube doesn’t so there is no way to declare an array of cubes that will work in the shader, and you can’t use a conventional array because there’s no way to pass that to the shader.

So texture array vs cube aside (I really don’t think that’s the issue here):

Here’s another debug screenshot, I got it to output the contents of the shadow map, reading from the correct face:

The actual shadows look correct, its the area around them that doesn’t. I don’t think that hard seam should be there at the edge of the texture. Maybe the depth scale is wrong?

Okay wait, nevermind all that. Just realised the shadow map isn’t right because the spheres should be darker than the background (they are closer to the light and closer is darker)

So after some more debugging I have narrowed down the problem to be in the rendering of the shadow map but I’m just not sure why:

If I set the light’s position to be 9 on the X axis then it renders fine, and as you can see on the shadow map the spheres are darker than the background. (There’s a thin seam but that’s because I’m not using a cube map, will worry about that later)

Then if I move the light to 10 on the X axis, the background of the shadow map goes black, which is obviously wrong:

Then at 11 on the X axis, the background of the shadow map is lightening again but it’s still wrong because it should be lighter than the spheres:

So what would cause the depth map to go black? Have I just wrapped around the depth values or something? How would that even happen?

My rendering shader is just:

#if OPENGL
	#define SV_POSITION POSITION
	#define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_3_0
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_3_0
#else
	#define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_5_0
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_5_0
#endif

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
float4x4 _World;
float4x4 _LightViewProjection;

struct VertexShaderOutput
{
	float4 Position : SV_POSITION;
	float Depth : TEXCOORD0;
};

VertexShaderOutput MainVS(float4 Position : POSITION0)
{
	VertexShaderOutput output = (VertexShaderOutput)0;
	float4 worldPos = mul(Position, _World);
	output.Position = mul(worldPos, _LightViewProjection);
	output.Depth = output.Position.z / output.Position.w;

return output;
}

float4 MainPS(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR
{
	return float4(input.Depth, 0, 0, 0);
}

// Technique and passes within the technique
technique MainEffect
{
	pass Pass0
	{
		VertexShader = compile VS_SHADERMODEL MainVS();
		PixelShader = compile PS_SHADERMODEL MainPS();
	}
};

Any ideas?

output.Depth = output.Position.z / output.Position.w;

If you do the w-division in the vertex shader, the automatic depth-interpolation between the vertices will be off. If the vertices are close together, it’s not noticeable. If they are far apart, like in your groundplane, it becomes a problem. You can solve it by passing Position.zw to the pixel shader and do the depth calculation there.

2 Likes

That was it! Thanks!

Working with 2 point lights:

Test with 4 coloured lights:

4 Likes

That is quite nice i never did figure out how to do pcf if you write up a tutorial id read it for sure.

I cobbled it together from a bunch of things I read. I’d say I understand it about 80% which is not enough to really write an informed tutorial. Happy to share the code though.

This is my shader, it uses PBR lighting and has shadow mapping for 1 directional light and up to 8 point lights.

My sources are:
PBR shader based on https://learnopengl.com/PBR/Lighting
Shadow maps based on Shadow mapping on Monogame

A few caveats: It is definitely not the most efficient or well written shader, my focus was just on getting it working. Also it uses an array of 6 textures to do the point light shadows instead of a cube map which leads to seams along the edges.

So with all that said, here’s the code :slight_smile:

// Standard defines
#if OPENGL
    #define SV_POSITION POSITION
    #define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_3_0
    #define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_3_0
#else
    #define VS_SHADERMODEL vs_5_0 
	#define PS_SHADERMODEL ps_5_0
#endif

// Properties
float4x4 _World;
float4x4 _View;
float4x4 _Projection;
float3 _CameraPos;

float4 _Color;
Texture2D _Albedo;
Texture2D _Metalness;
Texture2D _Displacement;
Texture2D _Normal;
Texture2D _Roughness;
Texture2D _AO;

//Lights
static const int MaxDirectionalLights = 8;
static const int MaxPointLights = 8;
static const int CubeSides = 6;

static const float3 FaceDirectons[CubeSides] = {
    float3(1, 0, 0),
    float3(-1, 0, 0),
    float3(0, 1, 0),
    float3(0, -1, 0),
    float3(0, 0, 1),
    float3(0, 0, -1),
};

float3 _AmbientColor;

float3 _DirectionalLights[MaxDirectionalLights];
float3 _DirectionalColors[MaxDirectionalLights];
float _DirectionalIntensity[MaxDirectionalLights];

float3 _PointLightPos[MaxPointLights];
float3 _PointLightColors[MaxPointLights];
float _PointLightIntensity[MaxPointLights];
float _PointLightRange[MaxPointLights];

//Shadows
Texture2D _DirectionalShadowMap;
SamplerState DirectionalShadowMapSampler
{
    Texture = (_DirectionalShadowMap);
    MinFilter = point;
    MagFilter = point;
    MipFilter = point;
    AddressU = Wrap;
    AddressV = Wrap;
};

Texture2DArray _PointShadowMap;
SamplerState PointShadowMapSampler
{
    Texture = (_PointShadowMap);
    MinFilter = point;
    MagFilter = point;
    MipFilter = point;
    AddressU = Wrap;
    AddressV = Wrap;
};

float4x4 _LightSpaceMatrix;
float4x4 _PointLightSpaceMatrix[MaxPointLights * CubeSides];
int _ShadowMapSize;
float _DepthBias;
int _DirectionalShadowIndex;

static const float PI = 3.14159265359;

// Required attributes of the input vertices
struct VertexShaderInput
{
    float3 Position : POSITION0;
    float3 Normal : NORMAL;
    //float3 Tangent : TANGENT;
    //float3 Binormal : BINORMAL;
    float2 TextureUV : TEXCOORD0;
};

// Semantics for output of vertex shader / input of pixel shader
struct VertexShaderOutput
{
    float4 Position : SV_POSITION;
    float2 TextureUV : TEXCOORD0;
    float3 Normal : TEXCOORD1;
    //float3 Tangent : TEXCOORD2;
    //float3 Binormal : TEXCOORD3;
    float3 WorldPosition : TEXCOORD2;
};

SamplerState MeshTextureSampler
{
    Filter = Anisotropic;
    AddressU = Wrap;
    AddressV = Wrap;
};

// PBR equations
float3 fresnelSchlick(float cosTheta, float3 F0)
{
    cosTheta = min(cosTheta, 1.0);
    return F0 + (1.0 - F0) * pow(1.0 - cosTheta, 5.0);
}

float DistributionGGX(float3 N, float3 H, float roughness)
{
    float a = roughness * roughness;
    float a2 = a * a;
    float NdotH = max(dot(N, H), 0.0);
    float NdotH2 = NdotH * NdotH;

float num = a2;
    float denom = (NdotH2 * (a2 - 1.0) + 1.0);
    denom = PI * denom * denom;

return num / denom;
}

float GeometrySchlickGGX(float NdotV, float roughness)
{
    float r = (roughness + 1.0);
    float k = (r * r) / 8.0;

float num = NdotV;
    float denom = NdotV * (1.0 - k) + k;

return num / denom;
}
float GeometrySmith(float3 N, float3 V, float3 L, float roughness)
{
    float NdotV = max(dot(N, V), 0.0);
    float NdotL = max(dot(N, L), 0.0);
    float ggx2 = GeometrySchlickGGX(NdotV, roughness);
    float ggx1 = GeometrySchlickGGX(NdotL, roughness);

return ggx1 * ggx2;
}

//Generating tangents and binormals based on https://github.com/JoeyDeVries/LearnOpenGL/blob/master/src/6.pbr/1.2.lighting_textured/1.2.pbr.fs
float3 getNormalFromMap(VertexShaderOutput input)
{
    float3 tangentNormal = _Normal.Sample(MeshTextureSampler, input.TextureUV).rgb;
    tangentNormal = normalize(tangentNormal * 2.0 - 1.0);

float3 Q1 = ddx(input.WorldPosition);
    float3 Q2 = ddy(input.WorldPosition);
    float2 st1 = ddx(input.TextureUV);
    float2 st2 = ddy(input.TextureUV);

float3 N = normalize(input.Normal);
    float3 T = -normalize(Q1 * st2.y - Q2 * st1.y);
    float3 B = normalize(cross(N, T));

//float3 N = normalize(input.Normal);
    //float3 T = normalize(input.Tangent);
    //float3 B = normalize(input.Binormal);

float3x3 TBN = float3x3(T, B, N);

return normalize(mul(tangentNormal, TBN));
}

// Directional lights: Calculates the shadow term using PCF
float CalcDirectionalShadowsPCF(float light_space_depth, float ndotl, float2 shadow_coord)
{
    float shadow_term = 0;

//safe to assume it's a square

float samples[4];
    samples[0] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _DirectionalShadowMap.Sample(DirectionalShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord).r);
    samples[1] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _DirectionalShadowMap.Sample(DirectionalShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float2(size, 0)).r);
    samples[2] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _DirectionalShadowMap.Sample(DirectionalShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float2(0, size)).r);
    samples[3] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _DirectionalShadowMap.Sample(DirectionalShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float2(size, size)).r);

return shadow_term;
}

// Point Lights: Calculates the shadow term using PCF
float CalcPointShadowsPCF(float light_space_depth, float ndotl, float3 shadow_coord)
{
	float shadow_term = 0;

float samples[4];
    samples[0] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord).r);
    samples[1] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float3(size, 0, 0)).r);
    samples[2] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float3(0, size, 0)).r);
    samples[3] = (light_space_depth - variableBias < _PointShadowMap.Sample(PointShadowMapSampler, shadow_coord + float3(size, size, 0)).r);

return shadow_term;
}

// Lights
float3 CalculatePointLights(float3 worldPosition, float3 N, float3 albedo, float metallic, float roughness)
{
    float3 V = normalize(_CameraPos - worldPosition);

//Calculate surface reflection at zero incidence, default to 0.04 but adjust for metallic surfaces.
    float3 F0 = float3(0.04, 0.04, 0.04);
    F0 = lerp(F0, albedo, metallic);

//Reflection equation
    float3 Lo = float3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    for(int i = 0; i < MaxPointLights; ++i)
	{
        // calculate per-light radiance
        float3 L = normalize(_PointLightPos[i] - worldPosition);
        float3 H = normalize(V + L);
        float distance = length(_PointLightPos[i] - worldPosition);
        float attenuation = _PointLightRange[i] / (distance * distance);
        float3 radiance = _PointLightColors[i] * attenuation * _PointLightIntensity[i];

// cook-torrance brdf
        float NDF = DistributionGGX(N, H, roughness);
        float G = GeometrySmith(N, V, L, roughness);
        float3 F = fresnelSchlick(max(dot(H, V), 0.0), F0);

float3 kS = F;
        float3 kD = float3(1.0, 1.0, 1.0) - kS;
        kD *= 1.0 - metallic;

float3 numerator = NDF * G * F;
        float denominator = 4.0 * max(dot(N, V), 0.0) * max(dot(N, L), 0.0);
        float3 specular = numerator / max(denominator, 0.001);

// add to outgoing radiance Lo

//Shadows

//Work out which face of the shadow cube
		float3 directionToFragment = normalize(worldPosition - _PointLightPos[i]);
		float closestDirection = -1;
		int faceIndex = 0;
		for(int face = 0; face < CubeSides; ++face)
		{
			float3 forward = FaceDirectons[face];
			float result = dot(directionToFragment, forward);
			if(result > closestDirection)
			{
				closestDirection = result;
				faceIndex = face;
			}
		}

int arrayIndex = i * CubeSides + faceIndex;
        float4 lightingPosition = mul(float4(worldPosition, 1), _PointLightSpaceMatrix[arrayIndex]);
		float2 shadowTexCoord = mad(0.5, lightingPosition.xy / lightingPosition.w, float2(0.5, 0.5));

shadowContribution = CalcPointShadowsPCF(ourDepth, NdotL, float3(shadowTexCoord, arrayIndex));

Lo += (kD * albedo / PI + specular) * radiance * NdotL * shadowContribution;
    }

return Lo;
}

float3 CalculateDirectionalLights(float3 worldPosition, float3 N, float3 albedo, float metallic, float roughness)
{
    float3 V = normalize(_CameraPos - worldPosition);

//Calculate surface reflection at zero incidence, default to 0.04 but adjust for metallic surfaces.
    float3 F0 = float3(0.04, 0.04, 0.04);
    F0 = lerp(F0, albedo, metallic);

//Reflection equation
    float3 Lo = float3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    for(int i = 0; i < MaxDirectionalLights; ++i)
	{
        // calculate per-light radiance
        float3 L = -_DirectionalLights[i];
        float3 H = normalize(V + L);
        float3 radiance = _DirectionalColors[i] * _DirectionalIntensity[i];

// cook-torrance brdf
        float NDF = DistributionGGX(N, H, roughness);
        float G = GeometrySmith(N, V, L, roughness);
        float3 F = fresnelSchlick(max(dot(H, V), 0.0), F0);

float3 kS = F;
        float3 kD = float3(1.0, 1.0, 1.0) - kS;
        kD *= 1.0 - metallic;

float3 numerator = NDF * G * F;
        float denominator = 4.0 * max(dot(N, V), 0.0) * max(dot(N, L), 0.0);
        float3 specular = numerator / max(denominator, 0.001);

//Shadows

if(i == _DirectionalShadowIndex)
		{
			float4 lightingPosition = mul(float4(worldPosition, 1), _LightSpaceMatrix);
			shadowContribution = CalcDirectionalShadowsPCF(ourDepth, NdotL, shadowTexCoord);
		}

// add to outgoing radiance Lo
		Lo += (kD * albedo / PI + specular) * radiance * NdotL * shadowContribution;
    }
    return Lo;
}

// Actual shaders
VertexShaderOutput MainVS(in VertexShaderInput input)
{
    VertexShaderOutput output = (VertexShaderOutput)0;

//Position
    float4 worldPosition = mul(float4(input.Position.xyz, 1), _World);
    float4 viewPosition = mul(worldPosition, _View);
    output.Position = mul(viewPosition, _Projection);
    output.WorldPosition = worldPosition.xyz;

//Normals
    output.Normal = mul(input.Normal, (float3x3)_World);
    output.Normal = normalize(output.Normal);

//UVs
    output.TextureUV = input.TextureUV;

return output;
}

float4 MainPS(VertexShaderOutput input) : COLOR
{
	//Read textures
	float3 albedo = _Albedo.Sample(MeshTextureSampler, input.TextureUV).xyz;
	float metallic = _Metalness.Sample(MeshTextureSampler, input.TextureUV).r;
	float roughness = _Roughness.Sample(MeshTextureSampler, input.TextureUV).r;
	float ao = _AO.Sample(MeshTextureSampler, input.TextureUV).r;
	float3 normal = getNormalFromMap(input);

//Convert albedo to linear space
	albedo = pow(abs(albedo), 2.2);

//Point lights
	float3 Lo = CalculatePointLights(input.WorldPosition, normal, albedo, metallic, roughness);
	Lo += CalculateDirectionalLights(input.WorldPosition, normal, albedo, metallic, roughness);

//Final colours
	float3 ambient = _AmbientColor * albedo * ao;
	float3 color = ambient + Lo;

color = color / (color + float3(1.0, 1.0, 1.0));
	color = pow(abs(color), float3(1.0 / 2.2, 1.0 / 2.2, 1.0 / 2.2));

return float4(color, 1.0);
}

// Technique and passes within the technique
technique MainEffect
{
    pass Pass0
    {
        VertexShader = compile VS_SHADERMODEL MainVS();
        PixelShader = compile PS_SHADERMODEL MainPS();
    }
}
3 Likes

This is a really good thread! I was wondering if you could show how you did generate the various textures? How does your rendering setup look like on the C# side code? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile: