Window wont stay active when changing resolution via hardware fullscreen.

Hey!
Super sorry if this has been asked before, I honestly really tried to find a pre-existing post about this but I think its more worth my time to just post myself instead of searching for another hour.

I’ll keep it short: I’m intentionally using HardwareModeSwitch for fullscreen, and am certainly expecting errors (I grew up in the early 2000’s, I know how clunky exclusive fullscreen is) but for the life of me I cannot fix this really simple issue.
When I do switch display modes, the window resizes and for a brief moment it does indeed resize my monitor as expected, but the window refuses to stay active. The resolution I’m changing to is supported, and I know it is changing resolution properly, but the window keeps minimizing itself if I try to make it active. What gives?

Here’s my resolution switching code if that’s any use:

void rebuildDisplay()
{
    width = activeMode.Width;
    height = activeMode.Height;

_graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = height;
    _graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = width;

_graphics.HardwareModeSwitch = true;
    _graphics.IsFullScreen = true;

_graphics.ApplyChanges();

PlayerController.RebuildMatrix();
    needsDisplayRebuild = false;

ReinitBase();
}

(ReinitBase just calls the game.initialize function to make sure the viewport & other weird monogame things related to resolution are set properly, and I’m setting activeMode elsewhere in the code)

Small addendum, I realize calling initialize if I change resolution is stupid, so I changed that. Not super relevant to my issue I know but still.