Tutorial: How to get XNA's SkinnedSample working with MonoGame

Yeah, Blender is a bit weird when it comes to complex FBX imports. I assure you though, the model I’ve provided I’ve loaded into my own game just fine. I don’t know if it helps, but I did tick !Experimental: Apply Transforms in Blender when I exported it.

well ok, but I don’t think there will be an animation in the game if there is no animation in blender?

All the other FBX i’ve imported worked in blender, too.

Hm… maybe you’re exporting/importing differently? I tried importing the file I sent to you into my own Blender, and got a corrupted armature with no model, but WITH animations.

However, when run it through the content manager, it works perfectly (with the exception of the scaling bones not working). Blender not being able to import FBXs has sort of become a given for me when working with it, though I am curious as to how you seem to be able to import FBXs into it (I’ve done quite a bit of research into this subject, and it’s commonly accepted that Blender doesn’t have the best FBX importer/exporter).

Hmm I can’t import it because it has a hard coded texture reference (not relative) so it’s your c:/users/m… etc

And I can’t change that in notepad since FBX is encoded differently, and reimporting from blend would likely break something

Blender’s FBX importer/exporter is woeful and strips a lot information from the model and animation. When I’ve used FBX files in Blender in the past, I used the Bos FBX importer/exporter plugin.

For Blender 2.77 or higher. For earlier versions of Blender.

1 Like

Whoa, never heard of that. Will try and report results when I get home.

@kosmonautgames Well… don’t I feel silly now. I guess I never noticed since building the game always fixed that. Thanks for letting me know, sorry about that :frowning:

If all goes well with the Bos importer and scaling, I’ll update this tutorial with how to get BetterSkinned working. Thanks!

Hm… I’ve tried the exporter. ContentManager can’t import it.

It just gives me this error: http://puu.sh/txVAK/bbdd6a7492.png

What’s funny though is, this imports the model and the armature, but not the animations. The default Blender importer imports the animation, but neither of the other ones.

It’s alright, really. I’d prefer to use Blender’s default exporter if possible, and I don’t really have a need for an importer at this time. I’ve already kind of planned my game around avoiding scaling bones, so this not working isn’t the end of the world, but it would be a good thing to figure out for others.

hey - just a silly question. I am trying to get the Better Skinned sample to work, so I decided to follow the steps outlined above, but immediately I encountered a problem.

Could you tell me if “MonoGame Pipeline Extension Project” is a project template that is used here? In this case, I don’t seem to have that template available in my version of Monogame. Is there anywhere I can download it to add it manually?

Yes it is available with the normal monogame Installation

Hmm… I seem to be missing some of those. Then again I remember that after installing MonoGame I had an issue where all of the MonoGame default templates were missing. Perhaps I did not install all of them manually.

Thanks for your help!

A pipeline extension is really just a class library project with MonoGame.Framework and MonoGame.Framework.Content.Pipeline references added.

1 Like

I ask your help))))

The “Skinned Model Processor” doesn’t appears in the dropdown list for me, I replaced the line 29, added the reference in the pipeline tool and restarted, but it doesn’t work, how can I do ? Don’t you have the dll to test ?

are you updated to version 3.7?

I downloaded the installer yesterday, so I have 3.7, yes…

Seem like we have the same issue, the problem is only occur in latest version. If you wan to make it work, i will suggest u download version 3.6 and try again.

I was very happy to read that so I uninstalled 3.7 deleted my pipeline extension project, installed 3.6 created a new project and added my new dll to the pipeline tool and… same thing :frowning: is there a way to find what is the problem ? I’m feeling lost, monogame seems to me the best for my use but I can’t make it work, I don’t want to go back to unity…

I find my mistake I was only putting one dll but there’s two, now ot works (with 3.6).
Thanks

1 Like

Hello, the link named SkinningSample_4_0 seems to no longer be up on Microsoft’s servers. Does anyone still have this data that would be willing to share?

There is a link titled “XNA Game Studio Archive” on the Monogame samples page:
https://docs.monogame.net/articles/samples.html

From there you can find the skinning sample here:

Hope that helps.