MonoGame 3.8 prerelease packages are up on NuGet

We have some exciting news to share with everyone, MonoGame 3.8 prerelease packages are up on NuGet, this will serve as a test to iron out any remaining bugs we might have.

Please report any bugs you find on our Github issue tracker.

Migrating from 3.7.1 release or older

Open the .csproj project file by hand and replace the following line:

<Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\MonoGame\v3.0\MonoGame.Content.Builder.targets" />

with

<ItemGroup>
    <PackageReference Include="MonoGame.Content.Builder.Task" Version="3.8.0.1375-develop" />
</ItemGroup>

Open up your project in Visual Studio, remove the local reference to MonoGame.Framework and add a nuget package reference for your selected platform, ie. if your project was for Android it would be MonoGame.Framework.Android nuget package.

Migrating from my .Core packages

Simply replace nuget packages using the following list:

• MonoGame.Content.Builder -> MonoGame.Content.Builder.Task
  • MonoGame.Framework.DesktopGL.Core -> MonoGame.Framework.DesktopGL
  • MonoGame.Framework.WindowsDX.Core -> MonoGame.Framework.WindowsDX
23 Likes

Nice. Is there a list of what is new?

Full changelog will be available with the official 3.8 release, here is the short version of changed stuff:

• A lot of fixes and improvements, A LOT
  • DesktopGL nuget now also targets .netstandard 2.0, and can be used with corert
  • WindowsDX nuget now also targets .netcoreapp3.0
  • Protobuild removed from the source code
  • All tools are now distributed using nuget
  • New templates that are shared between .NET CLI, Visual Studio for Windows and Visual Studio for Mac
  • mgfxc supports Mac/Linux using Wine
14 Likes

can someone please make a tutorial of creating a Mac project with App Store support as well iOS and tvOS , a template soulision will be fine

thanks
Michael hansen

Does this now mean that MonoGame uses .Net Core entirely, and no longer requires the installer?
If so that’s pretty cool!

3 Likes

Great!

What does this mean for UWP devs? a bit confused there…

But good tidings commence! I was waiting for this stage.

:sake:

There’s a similar 3.8 MonoGame.Framework.WindowsUniversal package that wasn’t mentioned. UWP still gets full support as far as I can tell :smiley:

1 Like

There is still an UWP version of MonoGame, its not going anywhere.

.NET Core support does not mean you can use that assembly anywhere, its just a target framework.

3 Likes

Sorry I skipped your question, yes, all the tools are in nuget, with 3.8 you’ll just have templates to install.

2 Likes

Having upgraded all packages to the latest - I’m now getting “Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException: 'Could not find ContentTypeReader Type. Please ensure the name of the Assembly that contains the Type matches the assembly in the full type name:…” error message when loading fonts, is anyone else experiencing this and/or is there a fix/workaround please and thanks :smiley:

Note: Im using the Android and iOS frameworks (not sure if that helps)

I think you may need to remove any existing MG files.

Is there also a MonoGame.Framework.Portable 3.8 nuget package?

2 Likes

Dependency resolution got changed, the old way of using the Portable package no longer works, so we dropped that package.

However there is a new way to do the exact same thing, read: https://github.com/harry-cpp/MonoGame/blob/newprojdocs/Documentation/setting_up_project/setting_up_project.md

1 Like

Hmmm i definitely did/have :disappointed_relieved:

Great! Thanks a lot for you work!

I want to access MonoGame.FrameWork from my shared dotnet standard 2.1 project. Can I use MonoGame.Framework.DesktopGL.Core for that?
To then use my shared project in WindowsDX

DesktopGL.Core has been deprecated as DesktopGL does the same job.

It does not matter which MonoGame nuget you reference from your .NET Standard project, the point is to use a nuget package with PrivateAssets=All, that way the MG framework will not get copied over and instead the MG.Framework from your main project will be used.

cool. when is the offical release?